Symptoms include: Headaches, breathlessness, fatigue, nausea or vomiting, inability to sleep, swelling of the face, hands and feet.
Here are some tips:
- Give your body time to adjust to the altitude.
- Avoid strenuous activity for the first day or two.
- Keep yourself hydrated by drinking plenty of water.
- Avoid alcohol, tobacco and sleeping pills.
- Eat high-carbohydrate foods (such as pasta, potatoes and bread).
- Drink coca tea or chew coca leaves
If you have a heart or lung condition, consult your physician before going to high altitude. He or she can tell you whether your condition will let your body adjust to the lower oxygen in the atmosphere.